Thursday, April 26, 2012

Maple Bacon Walnut Scones

There are two kinds of people: those who think everything is better with bacon, and those who like to keep bacon and sweets seperate. I'm the first kind of person. If I could eat bacon everyday for the rest of my life, I would. Ham, sausage, pork rinds... I'll eat anything pig (well, maybe not EVERYTHING), and enjoy it. Including theses scones :)



It's art. The bacon, walnuts, and maple glaze compliment each other so well.




So, since I'm a total nerd, let me give you an update on my duckies! They took their first swim today! And loved it. Look at how happy they are. "Yeah, were swimming!"


Oh, wow. It was so hard not to eat it... you have no idea...



I wasn't sure whether or not to put walnuts or pecans in these scones. I guess you see what I settled with.







And now glaze? These just keep getting better!



Maplicious. It's a new word, I swear.




All glazed up...


... And ready to eat.



Maple Bacon Walnut Scones
(Adapted from Completely Delicious)

Scone:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 cup buttermilk, cold
1 egg
8 strips of bacon
1 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped



Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Let cool on paper towels to absorb the grease, then cut into small pieces.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingers until butter is the size of small peas. Add six strips worth of the cut up bacon and 3/4 cup of the walnuts. Wisk together the buttermilk and egg, add to the flour mixture and stir until the mixture just starts to come together.
4. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, even divide the dough into 8 pieces. Add to the baking sheet and pat down until about 1/2 inch thick, Top with the remaining walnuts and bacon.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Cool. Top with glaze.

Maple Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons water

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar, maple syrup, and water in a small bowl until a smooth, runny glaze has formed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also of the school of thought that everything is better with bacon. I need to put these on my list of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete