Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chia & Fig Streusel Muffins

So now that it's a new year and all that, I guess I should at least attempt to be healthy... I just can't give up baking, though. I searched around for something whole wheat, low fat, and still delicious. This hit the target. I found this recipe for a fig muffin. I always add my own take on a recipe (adding the chia and the streusel, or as my mom calls them "crumblies"). This is probably the healthiest thing I have ever baked in my life.
I saw chia seeds on an episode of Dr. Oz (A 15 year old that watches Dr. Oz... weird). Anyway, he said that chia seeds have 30 time more calcium than milk! The seeds are also filled with omega 3's that are super healthy for your heart. The fact I like most about chia seeds is that after consumption, the seeds expand in your stomach making you feel full. Healthy and helpful!


Hmmm, fresh out of the oven. :)


The muffins are cooling... sad but true. Nothing better than a warm muffin.


Though healthy, it looks pretty delicious!


I can just smell the healthy coming out of it!

Chia and Fig Streusel Muffins

Muffin:
1 cup oats
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup dried, chopped figs
2 tablespoons chia seeds

Directions:
1. Take your oats and place in a food processor. Ground until the oats have a consistency of crumbs. Place in a medium bowl and add milk and lemon juice. Let milk be absorbed for 5 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Wisk until evenly blended.
3. Add the egg, honey, and oil to the milk/oats mixture. Wisk until blended.
4. Stir in a small amount of the flour mixture and chia seeds at a time until all is blended. Gently fold in figs.
5. Evenly pour batter into 12 muffins tins; top with streusel. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Make 12 Muffins

Streusel:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp chia seeds
1/4 cup chopped, dried figs
1 tablespoon melted butter

Directions:
1. Stir together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, oats, chia seeds, and figs.
2. Add melted butted and move around (do not over mix) dry ingredients until the streusel has a consistency of wet sand.

(After adding up all the calories, this recipe creates a 260 calorie muffin! Wow, I feel thinner already! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment