Monday, January 16, 2012

Salted Caramel Chocolate Petit Fours

So I decided to start off small... literally! I've always seen pictures of petit fours online and in different recipes. I have been dieing to make them for so long. When I found a tube of marzipan at my local Albertsons I jumped down the aisle thinking about what type I wanted to make.
I finally decided. I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I LOVE SALTED CARAMEL! Just the combination of sweet and salty takes me to Heaven. From drinks to cupcakes, I'll will try anything salted caramel.
When it comes to petit fours, you can do a lot of improvising. From the the size to the flavor, it is all up to you. I decided to do smaller (two-bite) petit fours. Let's get started!


Yeah, I'm really good at making messes...



Here's the cake batter. Funkiest thing ever. I think it had something to do with the cake flour, but the cake batter (well, the cake too) was like velvet. 



The product before being covered with anything. Here's another option to choose from... Frosting or Marzipan?




Let's just say I chose marzipan....



And out spills the oo-ey, goo-ey, delicious salted caramel!


Salted Caramel Chocolate Petit Fours

Cake:
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 once unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup boiling water
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
1 egg
1 egg yolk

Directions:
1. In a heatproof glass, add cocoa powder, chocolate, and boiling water. Wisk until smooth. Let reach room temperature by placing in fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or hand mixer), mix together flour, salt, baking soda, and brown sugar on low speed for 10 seconds. Add the butter, and beat for 30 seconds or until dough forms.
3. In a separate bowl, wisk together creme fraiche, egg, and egg yolk.
4. On low speed, add the egg mixture to the dough. Turn speed to medium-high and beat for about two minutes.
5. Turn mixer on low and add the chocolate.
6. Pour into a 9 x 11 rectangular pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Once cooled, carefully remove the cake from pan and cut in half. Place one layer of the cake back into the pan and drown in caramel. Add the other half of the cake on top. Place in the freezer for one hour to chill.
8. Once chilled, cut cake into equal sized squares and coat with marzipan. Place back in the freezer until firm.


Salted Caramel:
1/2 cup GRANULATED sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 whipping cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Carefully pour the sugar into a saucepan and drizzle the water over it. Cook on medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high.
2. Once it begins to simmer, WATCH IT! It can burn so quickly...
3. Once the mixture is amber brown, reduce heat to medium and add the cream. Stir until completely combined.
4. remove from heat and add butter and salt, mix until well combined. Viola! Salted Caramel!




No comments:

Post a Comment