Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homemade Nutella Banana Tart

So another thing I love: Nutella.


It's that chocolaty spread made from Hazelnuts, Cocoa, and Skim milk, A.K.A. Heaven.
There is nothing better than watching Project Runway at 9 PM and digging into a jar full of nutella with a spoon. OMG. I am just salivating thinking about it...
So on a snowy day when you stay home from school (just because you don't want to go), you have to find something to do. Or devour.
I'm not talking about the jar of nutella here, but making it. Oh yes, I did just type: HOMEMADE NUTELLA. I literally can tell you this tart was the best thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. EVER.
I'm using lots of capital letters here, you can tell I'm excited. So let me just tell you now, if you are on a diet, do not make this recipe. I'm pretty sure I ate at least 1/3 of this tart...
But that's what working out is for, right?


Pure chocolate. I try and tell myself, "Dark chocolate is good for you!" I think I get dark chocolate mixed up with every other kind of chocolate...


It looks like fondue :). You have no idea of hard it was to resist pouring this down my throat... Okay, I wouldn't have gone that far.



At this point, I just wanted to devour it.


And the gorgeous finished product!


Homemade Nutella Banana Tart
(adapted from Flour)

Nutella:
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 cup heavy cream
9 oz semisweet chocolate
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
3- 4 sliced bananas
Raw Sugar (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes.
2. Place hazelnuts in food processor and crush until well ground.
3. In a saucepan, scald cream and half of the ground hazelnuts. Remove from heat, let the hazelnuts infuse the cream for one hour. Strain through a fine mesh colander. Discard the Hazelnuts.
4. Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and add the cream; wisk until smooth. Stir in the remaining hazelnuts, salt, and vanilla.
5. Place the sliced bananas into the bottom of the tart shell, pour nutella on top of the bananas. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Store in fridge until set and ready to serve.

Tart Shell:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar with a stand mixture fitted with the paddle attachment for 2 - 3 minutes.
2. Add the salt and flour, mix until looks like crumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk and mix once more until dough forms.
4. Place in the fridge for one hour.
5. Roll out and place in prepared tart pan, let rest in fridge for 30 more minutes.
6. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes at 350 degrees (or until golden).

No comments:

Post a Comment