Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vanilla Bean Doughnuts

As much as I like fried doughnuts... these are better! When you bite into a doughnut, you expect this soft, light dough; these are completely different. They're baked! These doughnuts take on a whole new consistence. It's like eating a circle of cake. Delicious.


I use my little Sunbeam doughnut maker my mom got me a year ago for Christmas. It makes these doughnuts a perfect shape, and they taste like a vanilla bean pound cake. 


Isn't it cute? It looks like a doughnut itself!



Like I said before, I like to make messes.


A doughnut is not a doughnut without glaze...


Can I lick the spoon? ;)


Wow, now that is how a doughnut should look.


Did I mention they're mini? 


So pretty, you'd think they were bought.

Vanilla Bean Doughnuts

Doughnuts:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
8 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 vanilla bean

Directions:
1. Plug in your doughnut maker and let preheat.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Wisk until blended.
3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, add milk, butter, egg, and vanilla into the center. Stir until all is combined and a pancake-like batter is formed.
4. Cut open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds; discard the bean. Mix into the batter.
5. Fill the doughnut mold with batter, close lid, and bake for 6-8 minutes.
6. Let cool, then dip in glaze.

Vanilla Bean Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 vanilla bean
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Add powdered sugar and scraped out vanilla bean seeds into a bowl.
2. Add milk and vanilla, then slowly stir until a gooey glaze has formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment