Sunday, March 4, 2012

Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream

I wanted something different for my birthday this year. I combined all the parts of a birthday dessert into one. And this ice cream has it all!
Who doesn't love red velvet? I mean, come on. My grandma has this INCREDIBLE secret recipe that beats out any other red velvet cake recipe.
What most people don't know is that red velvet cake is actually a chocolate cake. There is nothing worse that a "red velvet cake" that is just a white cake dyed red. Icky.


For half a recipe of my Grandma's secret Red Velvet, it takes one of these bottles of red food coloring. Ridiculous, right?


Wow, look at that color.


This recipe never fails, too bad I'm not sharing it!


Cubed and ready for the freezer. I made mine a few days ahead just to make sure it was completely frozen and wouldn't break apart in the ice cream.


I decided to triple the ice cream recipe. The ratio of ice cream to cake and frosting was perfect.


I did make too much frosting, but whatever...


Because this recipe was tripled, the ice cream mix was filled to the top of my machine!


Mixing the cake and the ice cream...


I added a little ice cream/cake to each container, then swirled in frosting; repeating until filled completely.


Hmmm.....


"I feel so full, but I can't stop eating!" - Dad

Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream
(Adapted from Made With Pink)

1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup Red Velvet Cake Mix, sifted

1 cup cubed, frozen Red Velvet Cake
Cheese Cheese Frosting
Sprinkles

Directions:
1. Pour the cream and vanilla into a bowl and sift in the cake mix. wisk until well combined, set aside.
2. In a saucepan, wisk the milk, sugar, and egg yolk until blended. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 160 degrees.
3. Remove from heat and pour into the cream/cake mixture. wisk until evenly combined. Cover the bowl and place into the fridge until cold.
4. Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Gently fold in the frozen red velvet cake pieces.
5. Pour half of the ice cream into a container, and swirl a few spoonfuls of the cream cheese frosting. Repeat. Cover and place in the freezer until ready to be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment